Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Cyber Camp-Day 2

Today was a decent day.  I had a connectivity issue with a couple of my VM's because I had to use a bridged connection in VMWare Fusion.  I'm using a MAC.  That was a headache.  Fortunately someone helped me figure it out.  Thanks person who I-don't-know-if you-want-a-shout-out-or-not.  Also, thanks to the other person that helped me change the config files yesterday to facilitate communication via my VM's.  That course, yesterday, was made for Windows hosts.

I thought that I would post for future me or anyone else who may find it useful.

In order for the bridged connection to work for my VM's, I had to go to Virtual Machine Settings>Network Adapter>Wi-Fi>Adapter>System Preferences>Advanced Button>Set Elevator Box to "Manually">Type in an IP Address in the same range as my VM's Network IP's>Type in the same subnet mask as my VM's>Make sure that the Wi-Fi is connected to a Wireless Access Point and is on

Then I followed the directions in my lab to set the IP's and subnet masks of the VM's.

Note:  It does not have to be a Wi-Fi Adapter.  Later I configured a wired adapter in the same manner.  The key is to make sure that whatever medium you are using is plugged in to a working port on a nework switch or that the Wi-Fi is connected to a wireless access point.  Also, make sure that your VM Firewalls and host firewalls are not getting in the way of communication.

After that the course went fairly smoothly with the exception of one minor glitch that was not my fault.  One lab went pear shaped when we couldn't connect to the machines that we were supposed to.  They got it up and running fairly quickly.

These courses seem to be previews for SANS courses.  It's nice that we are doing different courses each day, but there is some material that I wish we had time to study more in depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment