Friday, July 17, 2015

Cyber Camp CTF

I survived this week and the ctf.  I'm not allowed to give out any answers for this until the other challenges have been done.  I was fortunate to be assigned to a team of brilliant people.  We ended up in 3rd place.  We were all first year Cyber Camp CTF Competitors, meaning that this was our first time attending this event.  Other teams had the advantage because it was their second+ year.  Thanks for doing such an excellent job, guys!  Thanks to the creators for such a great ctf.  Thanks to the instructors and everyone who took time out of their jobs to run the event.

I was a little disappointed with myself.  The guys knew a bit more Linux than I did, so I stayed off of the boxes and manned the scoreboard, trying to get little 5, 10, and 15 point questions.  Some of the guys didn't have the online challenge experience that I had, though, so I should've at least checked out the file systems because even though I might not know that much, I may know that one thing from other challenges that I have done that would answer higher point questions.  My reasoning for staying off the machines:  We had a limited amount of resources, so I didn't want to slow down their attempts to scan or attack.  There are also a couple of questions that I knew the answer to, but didn't trust myself to answer properly, so I wasted time googling, even though I knew the answer.  Alex Rams told me to believe in myself.  I should've taken his advice.  I'm still happy with the result, but unhappy that I didn't challenge myself this time around.  I had to think of what was best for the team though, and sometimes, what's best is to be the research person.

I think that this challenge was well worth the investment that my family made in it.  I have new resources to hone my skills.  I met a lot of interesting people.

No comments:

Post a Comment