Thursday, January 5, 2017

SANS Holiday Hack 2016

The deadline for submissions for the SANS Holiday Hack 2016 has passed.  I actually completed the challenge this year.  I'm surprised.  I've come close the last couple of years but didn't quite get all of the solutions.

I was having trouble with the JSON queries.  I found out something strange about copy/paste.  Apparently, on the machine that I'm using, if I try to copy and paste a JSON query, from a text editor into Firefox Developer Tools, some servers don't like the quotes.  I changed the quotes in the Developer Tools screen and it worked just fine.  I suspect that the text editor was using a different encoding.  It was extremely frustrating until I figured that out.

Even though the deadline has passed, the game is still up for those who want to learn.  Counter Hack spends quite a bit of $ to get the past challenges up for people to learn from.

For those of you who missed it, the challenge website is https://www.holidayhackchallenge.com.  The game website is quest2016.holidayhackchallenge.com.  Be aware:  I personally wasn't able to get the game to run on Safari.  That may have been because of my settings.  I did get it running on Firefox.  I found that Edge and IE were slow.  Edge and IE were on a couple years' old model, though.  I did not try it on Chrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment