Monday, February 29, 2016

Apple V FBI

I've been reading articles regarding the dispute between Apple and the FBI regarding the FBI trying to force Apple to create an operating system to undermine the security of Apple's devices so that the FBI can acquire evidence in cases.

I stand with Apple.  The reason that I stand with Apple is because the constitution of the United States was made to protect businesses from this sort of government interference.  If the government has their way, and is allowed to force one company to create something, no matter how well-meaning their intentions are, it sets a precedent for them to use to require companies to create the same thing, or even other things.  This is a government overreach.  I'm in favor of a government that has just enough power-not too much, and not too little.

This also affects Apple's market share.  The government directly influences whether or not a business succeeds or fails.  I know, that I personally, would take issue using a device if I knew that it was extremely easy to to be hacked.  One of the reasons that I chose my current device was directly because of its security.  I can't imagine that I'm the only one who feels this way.  What about other countries who use Apple for the very reason that it's secure?  Apple has to say good bye to those contracts.

Aside from the political reasons;  from what I understand, the devices used in the government right now, for government communications are Blackberries.  I would think that they'd want the best encrypted devices, which isn't difficult to argue, is probably iOS devices.  So what if Apple makes an OS capable of taking that encryption down?  Then you have a device that it useless considering its intended design is to be secure.  All of those government officials who use any Apple device are vulnerable to attack.  All it takes is for one person, whether inside Apple, or out, to exfiltrate that OS. Then government officials and private citizens alike are vulnerable.  I can see headlines of officials resigning because someone got information that they shouldn't have even been able to access.

No comments:

Post a Comment