Monday, June 18, 2018

NetWars Tournament of Champions/Imposter Syndrome

Someone was asking for help on the Advisory Board regarding NetWars.  I posted about NetWars before, but I didn't post anything about the Tournament of Champions.  I found an article written by someone who'd gotten a coin at SANS Rocky Mountain.  This person told me that I'm inspirational because I'd won that tournament at SANS Rocky Mountain.

I was avoiding this post because I'm not really proud of my performance at the tournament that I won at and ToC.  Some people say that I should just be proud for attending ToC.  I didn't feel like I had to do much to get the invite - like it was a lucky break.  Don't misunderstand; I learned a lot from NetWars Core Tournament 4 and NetWars continuous, but I wouldn't consider myself a "champion".

People talk about imposter syndrome - some have said that they think that I have it because I have trouble accepting compliments or acknowledging my accomplishments.  What if how I feel is real, though?  What if people really do assume I know more than I really do?  I'm not saying that I can't learn.  I'm saying that I still have a lot to learn, and that's ok.  Right now, I'm learning blue team stuff because I've been promoted to a Security Analyst position.  I thought that I had a lot of stuff to learn before - I'm stacking more plates onto that pile.

Hope to attend NetWars Tournament again soon.

Tips for ToC:

Mr. Skoudis - at the special meeting beforehand - will say, "Work in teams."  I didn't follow his advice - my goal was not to win.  I wanted to learn.  However, if you want to win - join a team.  I didn't because I didn't want to weigh my team down.  It was my first time playing Netwars Core Tournament 5.  In fact, just do exactly what Skoudis says prior to the game.

Other than that, follow the advice for normal NetWars Core Tournament.

Go with the goal of having fun - not winning - and it will be much more enjoyable.  I love all of the story line in these tournaments - they keep it interesting.  Love the music. 

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment