Sunday, October 29, 2017

Moving Files From Inoperable Computers With Wiebetech Forensic Ultradock

Full disclosure:  I do not get kickbacks for mentioning anything in my blog.  If I ever do, then I will specifically say so.  I just happen to like the devices that I mention and feel that they may help others.

At work, I used a Wiebetech Forensic Ultradock to look at some files on some drives.  It was incredibly easy to use.  When you open the computer cases, unplugged of course, being very careful, you just note the type of connection cables that are plugged into the hard drive, disconnect them to remove the hard drive, remove the hard drive, and use the same connection cables that come with the dock.  Everything is well labeled on the dock.  Then you plug the dock into your laptop/Desktop computer with the appropriate cable via a USB port.  Plug the dock into a wall socket using the power cord, and the dock should display info about the drive.  When you flip the switch, you should be able to browse the files on the docked hard drive on your laptop/Desktop computer just like you can with an external drive.

Regarding taking apart laptops/towers:  If you feel unsure, simply take it slow, and take pictures as you go along so that you'll remember how everything is assembled, so you can reassemble it later.  Many devices are taken apart on YouTube, so you can see tutorials about how to do so on there, or simply Google it.  Even if your specific model isn't on Google/YouTube, many computers are usually similar, so understanding what things are, inside the case, isn't difficult.

I have some old computers at home where I have some photos stored.  I made backups, but a couple of moves later, and I have no idea where the backups are.  I've wanted to get those photos for quite some time, but I've been working on other things.

My spouse recently took SANS FOR 500.  I can't look at his books-it's against the licensing.  (I hope to be able to save enough and take this course as a work-study, later.)  I don't think that SANS can be opposed to me using the equipment provided in the class, though-ie the Wiebetech Forensic Ultradock.

I looked on Amazon for the same model of Wiebetech Forensic Ultradock, in case others are interested.  It is ~$280 as of this writing.  The version I'm using is FUDv5.5 in case this link doesn't work in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/CRU-31350-3109-0000-WiebeTech-Forensic-UltraDock/dp/B0167NDLOU

Looking for older versions-looks like they can be purchased for around ~$55.

https://www.amazon.com/WiebeTech-Forensic-UltraDock-V4-controller/dp/B002MF68HA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1509300870&sr=1-2&keywords=WiebeTech+Forensic+UltraDock

I did not check to see if the connection cables were included with those prices.  Also, one should probably make sure that the dock will work with their OS and with the device that they want to retrieve files from.

You can find documentation, the device, and other parts on this site:

https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/forensic-ultradock-v5-5/

Fortunately, my spouse's dock works just fine with my MacBook Pro.  It also works with Windows 10.  Also, note:  Be very careful.  If your old docked device was compromised by malware, you could still be at risk.  This forensic dock, according to the manual provides write blocked access to the docked device, however, you can still copy files from the docked device to your computer.  If you run those files, and they are infected, you have a chance to infect your computer with malware if the malware is compatible with the OS of your current device.

The most trouble I had was taking apart the laptop and old towers that I was interested in getting the photos off of.  Every one of them had a different case style.  The most difficult one was the Compaq.  It's case was a little bent.  None of them were difficult though.

I was laughing at the specs on an on Compaq that was running Miserable Edition.  At the time, it was awesome.  Now it's ancient.  It could probably still run some retro games just fine.  Since I now have the files off of it, I might tinker with it later.

The old towers were all in my garage, so they were dusty, had a couple of crickets, and had some spiderwebs inside.  So be aware, no matter how clean you are, if things are in storage or a garage, you may find some surprises.

It was interesting seeing the change in technology over time.  The hard drives from the towers were clunky and only 40GB.  My older laptop had a 500 GB hard drive.  I might get a case and make an external drive out of the 500GB hard drive.

I showed my children the inside of the computers and explained to them the dangers of taking them apart.  I also explained that I was very careful, and that I had taken computers apart before to troubleshoot problems, and add hard drives and memory.  They seemed to like looking at the inside of each of the computers. :)  It was a fun, family activity.

Have fun :)




No comments:

Post a Comment