Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Level 5 NetWars Continuous

Currently playing level 5.  Highest rank so far is 2.  Each week, up to 10 players can sign in to each little area, and we've had four every week, so far, so 2 isn't that impressive.

My first couple of weeks, I didn't put services up, I just kind of observed what what going on by setting up a sniffer.  I poked around people's setup, especially the top guys to figure out how to configure my machine to be more secure than it would be had I not.  I'm glad I did.

There's this one poor guy who I won't mention by name that probably has the best strategy.  He keeps getting owned by a guy who's been playing for a while.  He's been at the top slot in our little group since before I started level 5.

I can say that I'm getting a little better at reading pcaps.  The traffic is steady, which makes anomalies stand out like a sore thumb.

Some of these attacks are pretty interesting.  I have a limited view this way.  Probably be best to take the strategy of the other guy and get pummeled.  Would definitely make me a better defender if I can get the logs/pcaps to learn from.

I'm surprised that I've been able to fend off the attackers thus far.  Wish I was better with attacks, though.

Update:

Exploited a vulnerability in one person's machine, rooted a poor guy's box a couple of weeks ago, and secured it against attack.  Finally got rank 1.  Maxed out the score I could get.  550-lost a couple of points somewhere in Levels 1-4.  The max score is 552.  Ended up finishing in place 51.

No comments:

Post a Comment