Thursday, June 16, 2016

Indexing

Still working on my index for SEC 301.  I know, how can I possibly not have it done?  I can now see why I saw people working on the index while they were in class.  I couldn't do that, considering part of my job as a Facilitator was to watch the doors to make certain that no unauthorized person had access to the room.

I wouldn't feel comfortable indexing during the class anyway, out of respect for my fellow students who were trying to learn, as well as out of respect for my instructor who dedicated a lot of his time to write and teach a course to many people.

So I get home and start on my index, and life happens.  I can only work on it so many hours a day because I have a responsibility to take care of my family.  I can't imagine how people who work manage to get it done in a timely manner.

I suppose it would go quicker if I wasn't listening to the mp3s at the same time.  I do so because I can rewind them when I need to, and the instructor always has some interesting tidbits that would be missed if I didn't listen to them.

I've read guides about indexing.  I don't know what will work for me, yet.  I look forward to taking the exam, but I'm also a little nervous because even with the practice exams, you don't quite know what to expect.

Many people recommend reading this blog by Lesley Carhart for advice on indexing.  https://tisiphone.net/2015/08/18/giac-testing/  I don't plan on following her advice to the letter, but I do plan on following most of it.  I'm typing important points with each subject so that I may not have to look at the books as much.  Also, the act of typing it helps me to remember.  I learn by doing things hands on.  Usually, if I type something several times, I remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment